Your Cyber Addicted Child's Digital Diet
The following are tips developed by The Cyber Addition Recovery Center to help parents lessen their children's overuse of technology.
1) Limit technology to one hour a day (non-school-related use).
2) Spend one hour a day, one day per week, and four days per month completely "unplugged" from all forms of technology.
3) Institute a "tech curfew": no recreational use of tech after 9:00 p.m.
4) Keep all forms of technology out of bedrooms at all times.
5) Turn off smart phones at 9:00 p.m. (no texting, surfing, etc.)
6) Collect all tech gadgets after curfew and have them "sleep" in the kitchen or family room.
7) Take family "field trips" at least once per week (parks, restaurants, beach, museums, hiking, movies).
8) Exercise as a family: biking, hiking, swimming, sports, boogie boarding, roller-skating, bowling.
9) Do not have conversations or meals with any tech device in hand (eyes "up" and focussed on your conversation partner).
10. Structure your "tech" day: set specific times for e-mailing, Facebook, chat rooms, eBay, research, etc.